Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Enough Already!

Enough already with the indecision! 
There - I said it - so you won't have to.
I spent two hours over at the little house today. After countless hours of weighing the options, I had finally decided to move forward with the house as a project - not our home. I thought I had made the right decision.
Then, today, I met my friend Sarah (the interior designer) at the house to discuss plans and drawings. Although I did focus long enough to listen to her ideas and agree on a plan - I left feeling more unsure than ever! The more time that I spend making decisions, determining where the walls should go, and deciding on the kitchen configuration, the more  I want to live in the little house!
I know - I have a problem.
Although my heart is fickle - my head is not. I have made a decision, and I am sticking with it.
So...
The plan is - to renovate the house without adding any additional square footage. We will be moving interior walls, gutting & rebuilding the kitchen and baths and, in general, making this house so adorable that I am going to wish I could keep it!
Ugh - I wish I felt better about it. 
You know that feeling - when you have struggled to make a decision- thought about it, talked about it, prayed about it and lost sleep over it ? When finally  you come to a conclusion -  Relief right? 
That's what I expected - but I am still conflicted. Clearly I have issues!
Regardless - I am moving forward. 
The first utility bills arrived. I took them as a sign - driving home the message..."You are wasting time and money! Get off your ass and get something done!" 
Since I never ignore signs - I decided to get in gear. Here we go....
I'd like to put some of the ideas out there - to see what you think. I'll need to make this house as marketable as possible - so your feedback will really help.
First - I am making the house have 4 bedrooms. Although the little house was listed as  a 5 bedroom - there are really only 3 obvious bedrooms. I am going to create 3 small bedrooms out of the 2 on the second floor. They will be small - but I feel like 3 bedrooms would be too few.
For the master, I am going to combine the downstairs bedroom and the den. The combined space of the two rooms is 27x11. Sarah suggested that we make a dressing room/closet out of one section. So the bed part of the room would be 19x11 - and then there would be a cased opening to the 8x11 dressing room. 
I like the idea on paper. I hope it will turn out as well in real life.
Upstairs - there is one full bath. I'm thinking I might like to have 2. One decent sized one with a bath, and then another smaller one with a stall shower. I know that the extra bath would of tremendous importance to my family - but, how about yours? It will be a lot of additional expense. Do you think I need to have 2 baths upstairs for the 3 bedrooms?
It would make a big difference to me - but, I am not buying the house.
I hope to have some more interesting pictures to post soon - if not of progress, at least of demolition!
In the mean time...here is a shot of my lame attempt to make the house look festive for the holidays.
Happy New Year!






  



1 comment:

  1. Good job, Bridget! My vote, though is for 2 large brs upstairs and 1 nice bath. With the first floor master, your market is great for an empty nester. Are you confused yet?

    ReplyDelete