Friday, August 31, 2012

Don't be such a SQUARE!

When I asked for square balusters, you would have thought that I had asked for them to me constructed out of jello! 

The reaction was far from accommodating! 
"Where will we get them, who makes them, how will they attach?"
Since I had already used them on two addition projects over the years, I knew that, if they could not be found, they could easily be made.

("Easily" -  I guess I shouldn't comment on how easy it would be, but...If you could see these trim carpenters, Whew! Once they get going, it's incredible to watch. I can't imagine anything that they couldn't whip up in 3 minutes! They are craftsmen (and women) - and for them, making these balusters was easy!)

I am glad that I stuck to my guns. 

If these were the usual turned balusters (That are included in the contracted price) - I know that I would have been disappointed.

These square balusters (or... as I incorrectly call them, Pickets) are exactly what I was looking for!



I think that they make all of the difference. 




 Siding almost done!
This part has been a bit stressful. 
I really wanted to use the pre colored Hardiplank - because they guarantee the color & finish for 25 years. That seemed worth it to me,(@$3k more than the unfinished hardi) since getting the house painted once would cost at least $5000

I must admit...
I have had moments of doubt as it has gone up. 
Mostly because my husband keeps commenting about how it looks like "primer gray" 

Maybe, once the white corner boards and gutters are up, it will look less "primer-ish"

(Fingers crossed!)





No comments:

Post a Comment