Monday, September 3, 2012

The Soap Dish Saga

Sounds interesting doesn't it?


Well - if you were a soap dish, where would you want to be? 



Right in the middle of the tub, constantly getting wet?



Imagine the stress...

 There you are - a simple ceramic shelf, who's only purpose is to house and protect a bar of soap...


Sadly - you are placed in a position that leaves you exposed - unable to do the one thing you were created for...which ultimately makes you useless.



I just couldn't, in good conscience, set my soap dishes up for this. 



I had to make a change.



Soap dish placement gets added to my running list of things that we do - not because they make good practical sense, but simply out of habit. 



We expect to see a soap dish in the middle of the tub wall - so we continue to put them there.



No more!



I will not continue this ridiculous practice!

So...my soap dishes will be up high and as far away from the shower stream as possible.


I spent a lot of time relaying my concern for my soap, and wishes to break from the conventional placement of the dish, to my builder. He listened intently - then asked that I speak directly to the tile installer - to avoid confusion.



After going through the explanation a second time - everyone seemed to be on board. We drew the dish on the durock wall - so we could be absolutely certain that my soap could be guaranteed the safe haven, that it's dish was intended to provide.



Unfortunately...

That tile installer tiled the walls from bath to ceiling without adding the dish.
Not to worry - he said, we will add the soap dishes after the tile has set. "It will be better to add it later"


Hmmm....

I was skeptical, but, willing to trust his plan. After all - he had been so understanding about my soggy soap worries.


I am sure that he had every intention of placing the dishes right where I had drawn them in  - but, the next day he was not in. Another installer came in, saw the two dishes (one in each bathroom) sitting beside the tubs. He saw that they had not yet been installed - and got right to work.



By the time I arrived to check in - both of the kid's baths had already been done. 



In some ways - I wish that the details did not matter to me, but they do. I considered keeping my mouth shut, but then thought better of the idea.

Every time I had a soggy, soupy, soap mess in the flooded soap dish, I would have cursed that tile guy. It would have made me crazy - so, I had to ask him to fix it.


I can't say that he was happy about it, but he willingly repaired the holes he had made, and placed the dishes where they needed to go.



My soap dishes will now accomplish everything that they were created to accomplish  - and as a result will be very satisfied.



Happy Soap dishes - what more could I ask for?!






No comments:

Post a Comment