Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tile choices...

I had ordered all of our tile online. 
I thought it was a brilliant idea. That way, I could choose exactly what I wanted, read all of the reviews, and have it delivered right to the new little house. 
By chance, I even found everything I was looking for at Overstock.com. It was not less expensive - but, I thought it was worth ordering it that way - especially since I was in NY and the tile had to get to the little house before I was to return to VA.

Well ... live and learn.

What a mess that turned into. I spent no less than 10 hours on the phone with overstock, and the (3) carriers involved in the delivery of the tile. 
It never arrived. 6 days after they told us that it would be at the little house "within 30 minutes" it still had not arrived. At that point I asked them to cancel our order - and planned to buy it locally. 
What a fiasco! 

They threatened to charge us 50% ($1600!) of the total order for not accepting delivery! 

Meanwhile - I had had the tile crew onsite on (4) different days awaiting the delivery.
 They would schedule a time - and never show. Then schedule again the next day - and never show.
I was really starting to lose my mind.

Unfortunately - (and I sincerely mean that) - I finally had to pull out my inner NY bitch. 

I am a firm believer in the "you catch more bees with honey..." philosophy - but, I was not getting anywhere with Overstock.

At the end of the 6th day - of non delivery, they finally agreed to return all of the tile (that we never received) - and credit my account.
I've called the bank and given them all of the details of the transaction - just in case...

I was able to scramble around Richmond and gather what I needed within 24 hours. 
 Mary @ Best tile (on Broad) was a gem - and helped me to pull it together. 
Although I could not get exactly what I had found at overstock - I was able to find suitable alternatives, and save a bunch of money. 

The biggest bonus of all was that they had all that I needed in stock - so there was no risk that I would hold up the tile guys another day.

These marble hexagons will be in my daughter's bath - and the powder room.




These Black & White hexagons will be in the Laundry & the Boys bathroom.


The Black & White basket weave will be in the Master Bathroom.


So - nothing too elaborate. I was just trying to stay pretty simple, and stick with the smaller scale to date the house a bit.
The walls in the kids baths will be simple white subway - with just a bit of accent tile.

I'll let you know how it turns out.




No comments:

Post a Comment