Thursday, November 10, 2011

The question marks???

The question marks???       






There are so many questions associated with this project. I've been thinking about it way too much - and losing too much sleep. The biggest question is...is this a project, or is this going to be my/our home? The project idea seems much more appealing - simply because there are fewer risks.  The location of this little messy house would be ideal for me - and for my family. Closer to all schools and workplaces than we are now.  Very pedestrian friendly (which I have been craving since we moved to suburbia!) - with a town within less than a half mile.
When I originally found it - I intended to move us there, but the worry has been creeping in. 
How will we fit? Where will we put all of our stuff? (Not the excess stuff - I am ready to pitch 99% of that - but, the bicycles, lawn mower, shop vac, power tools - the things that we are going to need to maintain this new house. Where will they go?) Will we include a garage in the plan? If we add on the space that we think we "need" - and then add on a garage, would we be investing too much? 
The area can support the addition. Many houses nearby have been added on to , and all seem to have retained their value. 
A couple of things have swayed me toward the project plan. A friend - who is smart, and I trust has the ability to see the potential in anything- walked through with me.  She did seem excited about the opportunities - but definitely was pushing me toward the project option.
Then, yesterday, I asked an architect to meet us and discuss the potential expansion plans. Although he had many great ideas about what we could, and should, do - he clearly stated that he thought the more practical plan would be to make this house a project. Seeing my discouraged face after his comments - he then quickly added.... "This house could still be the project that helps get your family where you want to be. Ultimately, it could lead you to your new home. "
By that he meant - if I could renovate this house well, and end up with some profit at the end of the day, that money be applied to another home nearby.  It's a good point. 


So, although I said that I was not going to add additional photos now - I've changed my mind.  
There are a few very interesting and quirky things about this house. Unfortunately - most will be demolished to accomplish the renovation. So it is important to document them now - before we begin. Here is one of my favorites - and this one rates very high on the quirky meter. 
The dual access bathroom...
This room, which is smaller than my closet (literally), is considered one of 5 bedrooms. In this very small "bedroom" which might fit a crib, but could never fit a twin bed, there are two doors that appear to be closets.  But no! To my surprise, upon opening them, I found a bathroom.  I have never seen a bathroom like this - and I've been in many old quirky houses. One door opens to the sink - with the toilet to the right. The other door opens to the middle of the bathtub - which is running vertically, in line with the sink and toilet. 
I've seen tiny bathrooms before - and I usually really like them (tucked under a staircase or off of a small landing on the way to the basement) - but, this one seems a bit crazy - even for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment