Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Almost closing day...

Two days until we close. The termite inspection was finally done - although I have not yet seen it.  The underground oil tank should have been removed - but, I'll wait to see the receipts to be sure. Hopefully everything will be in order, and we will close on Thursday , as scheduled.
I've had a heck of a time getting insurance for this little house. Who knew that vacant house insurance was so expensive?! It makes sense - but, I had no idea how much more it would be! The only good thing is that it can be purchased in 3-6 month increments. Once someone moves into the house, it becomes much less expensive. Thanks to my friend Dave @ Auto(and home) Insurers of Virginia for securing such a reasonable policy for me. I had 4 quotes - and Dave's was, by far, the least expensive.
My utilities are lined up to be turned on by the 17th, and I've already talked to the city about getting a gas line run. Apparently the key to getting the line run for free is, 3 appliances (including the furnace).
So, when the sweet lady from the city utility office asked "wuz gonna be gaz?" (In a mumbled apathetic tone - that seeped unhappiness through the phone line) I listed everything I could think of....the furnace, the dryer, the stove, two gas fireplaces, a hot water heater, a gas grill and a whole house generator. I do not plan to have all of those things immediately - but, I may someday want all of that, so why not plan ahead. I was happy to find out that the first 100' would be free (with the commitment of the furnace + two other items ) -  and each additional foot will be $6. 
I was surprised to find out that the gas permit would take 30-45 days to be written. I guess we will stick to the oil heat for a little longer. Unfortunately the homeowners forgot to cancel their automatic oil delivery- so $400 additional oil was just delivered this week. I am hoping that the oil company will come out and pump out whatever is left in the tank. It is my understanding that they will credit me for any oil that is left.  




Today's picture is a shot from the kitchen.
Somebody liked to save bananna stickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment